What is Transformational Leadership?
Poor leaders make today worse for everyone. Transactional leaders focus on making today better by rewarding good performance. Transformational leaders are focused on making tomorrow better. They do this in four ways:
- Firstly, Vision. Transformational leaders create a noble vision to work towards that inspires others.
- Secondly, Authenticity. Transformational leaders are authentic in their interactions with their team. Their integrity inspires team members to take action.
- Thirdly, a Growth Mindset. Transformational leaders help cultivate their team’s professional and personal development. They invest time and energy, knowing the effort will eventually bear fruit.
- And finally, Creativity. Transformational leaders encourage their team to think creatively, work with flair and embrace originality. They allow measured risks, which foster innovation.
Teams with transformational leaders are CONSTANTLY being changed for the better. To review, transformational leaders:
- Works towards a noble vision
- Act with authenticity and honesty
- Adopt a growth mindset
- and promote creativity and new ideas
(Top photo, from left to right, above and below: These men are considered by many to be foremost transformational leaders of the 19th and 20th centuries - Steve Jobs, Abraham Lincoln, Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Ghandi, Billy Graham, Winston Churchill.)